London – March 17, 2015 – Cooley is enhancing its life sciences corporate group with the arrival of London-based partners John Wilkinson and Nicola Maguire. Wilkinson and Maguire, who have worked together for many years, join from Reed Smith. They are among the first partner additions to Cooley's London office since its 20-partner January launch.
"John and Nicola are two of the UK's most highly talented life sciences lawyers," said Justin Stock, managing partner of Cooley's London office. "Their practice areas and client bases complement many of Cooley's core strengths and they will add to the incredible momentum we've experienced here in London since day one. Cooley's tech and life sciences brand is known throughout the world and we are excited to be further strengthening it here in the UK."
John Wilkinson's practice focuses primarily on advising specialty pharma, biotech and medical technology companies on a wide range of transactional, IP, regulatory and antitrust matters. Prior to qualifying as a lawyer, Wilkinson worked for five years as a chemist doing drug development. He advises clients from around the world, including continental Europe and the United States and numerous clients in Scandinavia.
Nicola Maguire specializes in advising life sciences companies and other IP-rich clients at all stages of development, from startups to listed companies, on collaborations, M&A, joint ventures and other negotiated transactions. Many of the deals on which she advises have a cross-border component, often involving parties in Europe, the United States and India.
"Cooley was well known to both of us, owing to its platform and prestige in the life sciences sector," Wilkinson said. "With the London office now established, the timing couldn't be better to explore the natural synergies that we can collectively bring to a global client base."
"With its extensive footprint in all aspects of the representation of life sciences companies, Cooley is a natural fit for our practices and for our clients," Maguire said. "We're extremely impressed by the current team already in place in London, and we're excited to be a part of a firm that is committed to building such a differentiated presence in Europe."
Cooley opened its London office in January with more than 55 lawyers and other professionals. From the outset, the office has offered depth and expertise in key practice areas including corporate/M&A, complex litigation, venture capital, technology transactions, IP, competition and privacy. On March 9, Cooley announced the arrival of private equity and venture capital partner Stephen Rosen, who will join from Olswang.
Life Sciences and Cooley
- Since January 2013, Cooley has handled 50+ life sciences US IPOs – more than any other law firm, and completed 80+ life sciences follow-on offerings raising a combined total in excess of $8.5 billion
- Since 2010, Cooley has handled more than 130 life sciences M&A transactions for a combined total deal value in excess of $27 billion
- Cooley has helped life sciences companies raise more than $3 billion in more than 150 private financings since 2013
- Cooley was ranked #1 in Life Sciences by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in 2007 - 2014
- Ranked #1 among US law firms for number of lawyers included in Biotech Law category of Best Lawyers in America
- Ranked as Law Firm of the Year in Life Sciences in the Financial & Transactional and M&A categories by Euromoney's LMG Life Sciences Awards in 2013 and 2014
- Wilkinson and Maguire are regularly listed as leading lawyers in the life sciences sector by Legal 500, Chambers & Partners, IAM and Who's Who Legal
About Cooley LLP
Cooley's lawyers solve legal issues for entrepreneurs, investors, financial institutions and established companies. Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, often where innovation meets the law.
Cooley has 850 lawyers across 12 offices in the United States, China and Europe.