Cooley LLP has represented and counseled clients in the mechanical technologies field for many years. Our team includes many attorneys with technical and legal backgrounds related the mechanical technologies field. Additionally, many of our attorneys have professional experience in the mechanical technologies field. Our vast experience allows us to appreciate the many unique challenges that face companies in this field.
We counsel our mechanical technologies clients on the development and implementation of global intellectual property strategies, including product clearance and all aspects of domestic and international patent prosecution (including patent interferences, reexaminations, reissues, and appeals). We also provide counseling and support in the critical intellectual property aspects of all types of transactions (including strategic investments, licenses, mergers and acquisition, and public offerings). As a result, we recognize the distinct competitive pressures facing companies in the mechanical technologies field and respond with intellectual property strategies that effectively address these challenges.
- Aircraft components and systems
- Analytical instruments
- Automotive engines
- Children's toys
- Computer mounting and cooling systems
- Consumer products
- Medical devices
- Microelectromechanical devices
- Retaining walls
- Sports equipment
- Toys and juvenile products
- Weapons systems
Exemplary of our work in the mechanical technologies field, we have recently
- Drafted and prosecuted patent applications related to fuel injectors, children's toys and consumer products, such as inflatable pools, ear warmers, sunglasses, gloves, floating loungers, hammocks and hammock frames, and swim fins;
- Prepared reexamination requests for patents related to a collapsible pool;
- Preformed product clearance projects, including the preparation of non-infringement and invalidity opinions in connection with consumer products such as golf balls, collapsible tents, jackets and other multi-zone apparel; and
- Provided intellectual property counseling and diligence in connection with investor and company side transactions such as mergers, stock and asset purchases and licensing transaction across a variety of technologies.